Want to advocate for a cleaner, greener Tacoma? Join our team!
Communities for a Healthy Bay inspires Tacoma to fight for and protect Commencement Bay and its surrounding waterways. Our programming, delivered in partnership with local organizations, schools, and businesses focuses on holding heavy polluters accountable, properly assessing land-use policy, combating climate change and educating youth in environmental justice.
What we Value
Communities for a Healthy Bay’s work is driven by a passion for the natural environment and our community; by a steadfast commitment to good science, strategic action and organizational excellence; and by a conviction that together we can accomplish more.
- Good Science
- Communities for a Healthy Bay holds as a central value making science-based decisions. We are committed to empowering members of the public to be effective advocates for a healthy Commencement Bay by sharing clear and scientifically accurate information.
- Community and Collaboration
- Communities for a Healthy Bay cannot exist in a vacuum – we must collaborate, mobilize and genuinely listen to the community. We all live in this watershed and experience its environmental burdens and benefits. We can only meaningfully achieve our mission through genuine partnership with our communities, our donors and stakeholders. Our fight is one firmly based in community.
- Transparency, Integrity and Excellence
- Communities for a Healthy Bay is committed to transparency, integrity and excellence, demonstrated through planned and well-executed goals, strategies and actions. We acknowledge our roles in conflicts and actively seek to find and implement solutions.
- Our work often necessitates bringing stakeholders together in a tense space that requires integrity, honesty and a keen focus on our mission. But in that same space, community progress is made and real solutions to our biggest problems happen.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values for Communities for a Healthy Bay. Our work is deeply rooted in environmental justice – challenging the systems of privilege and power that degrade the natural environment and disproportionately burden vulnerable communities. We believe that acknowledging our privileges and bringing underrepresented voices into the conversation will allow us to more effectively address the complex issues that threaten Puget Sound.
- We welcome and value a diversity of people, experiences and perspectives. We embrace and encourage participation of people with differences in age, race, gender identity and expression, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, language, national origin, family or marital status, veteran status, physical and mental ability, sexual orientation, religion, political affiliation and any other characteristics that make them who they are.
- Through our work, we strive to create solutions that promote environmental sustainability for all.
- Social and Environmental Justice
- Protecting the civil rights of all our communities is intricately connected to our mission. Both nature and people deserve justice and full protection. As we move forward, we cannot ignore the inequitable distribution of environmental burdens and benefits. We are committed to expanding our work and partnerships with communities disproportionately impacted by pollution.
- By working to protect civil rights, we seek to expand what it means to be an environmentalist.